The WVU Industrial Engineering Capstone Program aims to develop mutually-beneficial relationships with businesses in the community and senior-level Industrial Engineering students, by providing free-of-cost industrial engineering support. The WVU IECP supports and coordinates the senior design projects for graduating seniors from the ABET-accredited Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering program.
We are continuously looking for senior design projects to i) provide student learning experiences and ii) uphold the land-grant mission of the University by supporting our local community.
With the WVU IECP, at no monetary cost to you, we provide a team of 3-6 senior industrial engineering students, with the majority having at least one prior full-time internship or co-op experience, who will partner with you to resolve a complex problem using industrial engineering skills and tools. In exchange, our students will gain valuable “real-world” experience.
In a general sense, the WVU IECP supports any type of IE projects that are centered
around process improvements for businesses with pre-existing processes and business
practices. This can take on many forms, and the WVU IECP is happy to assist in
identifying and defining the most meaningful/useful projects for your business.
If you have been struggling with project/process/operational efficiencies and
just can’t seem to narrow down the problem and/or right solution, we are here
Benefits to you:
- Free of cost service to your facility
- Attention allotted to a project that may not have otherwise received attention
- A fresh perspective and a new take on a problem, often resulting in creative solutions not yet considered
- Development of a mutually beneficial relationship with the WVU IMSE Department
- Opportunity to learn about our students and potentially find your next hire!
Types of Projects:
- Production planning and control
- Productivity performance improvements
- Inventory improvements/optimization
- Industrial quality control
- Project scheduling
- Human factors: safety and ergonomics
- Plant layout and material handling
- Elimination of wastes
- Customer service improvements
- Optimization (with linear programming)
- SO MUCH MORE!
- Implementable recommendation(s) with detailed engineering analysis
- Formal written report including all analyses, findings, and recommendations
- Presentation of project from start to finish, including recommendations by WVU student teams to your company
What we provide:
- A team of 3-6 eager and knowledgeable senior-level students
- Guidance and support for students in the classroom
- Options for Fall, Spring, or Full-Academic-Year projects
- Travel for site visit(s), if applicable
What we need from you:
- A complex engineering problem (we can help you identify/assess this!)
- A site visit, either in person (preferred) or virtual with student team members
- Commitment to our students (time and energy)
- Willingness and ability to support their data and information needs to fully assess the problem(s)
For more information, please complete the form at https://forms.gle/CuLEHpoK5Jc6uki67